I was grilling some cheeseburgers and hot dogs over the Fourth of July with friends and family when I remembered a valuable lesson I learned some years ago.

My old driveway did not come flush to the entrance of the garage door, so there was a big dip making it super cumbersome to get it out of the garage, so grilling in the garage became the normal which can be dangerous!

One time I left the grill on by accident when my wife had called me in the house for a second and the whole garage was filled with smoke. Lesson learned.

Did You Know What The Number One Cause Of House Fires In Massachusetts Is?

Burning cigar with smoke on old humidor

I thought it was careless smoking, but it is NOT! In actuality, it's cooking fires.


Here are some tips on how to deal with a cooking fire courtesy of mass.gov

  • Cover a pan or grease fire with a lid and turn off the heat. Baking soda also works.
  • Don't move a burning pan.
  • Don't use water or a fire extinguisher on a grease fire.
  • Stand by your pan. Don't leave food, grease or oils cooking on the stove top unattended.
  • Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.
  • Keep pot handles turned inward to prevent spills.
  • Create a three-foot child-free zone around the stove. Keep pets away also.
  • Keep combustible items like pot holders, towels, and paper or plastic bags away from burners.
  • Don’t put metal in a microwave. Utensils, aluminum foil or twist-tie wraps can cause a fire.
  • Use caution with microwaved food and liquid. They can become very hot.
  • Unplug appliances like toasters and coffee makers when not in use.
  • Don’t use the oven for storage.

I hope you found this post informative.

LOOK: The 25 least expensive states to live in

Here are the top 25 states with the lowest cost of living in 2022, using data Stacker culled from the Council for Community and Economic Research.

More From WUPE