Junkyard Fire In North Adams Determined To Be Accidental
After several days, it has been determined that the large fire that took place at George Apkin & Sons junkyard back on May 25 was accidental.
Mass.gov reports that according to North Adams Fire Chief Brent M. Lefebvre and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey, the fire at the George Apkin & Sons junkyard in North Adams on Tuesday, May 25, was started as a result of heavy equipment being used on cars that still had gasoline inside their tanks.
Gasoline vapors were determined to be the cause of the fire. The operation was routine in terms of what the junkyard does daily.
Approximately 15 minutes past 10 a.m. on Tuesday, May 25, according to North Adams City Hall, North Adams Fire Department responded to a fire at George Apkin & Sons junkyard at 80 State Street. Several vehicles plus material in the scrap yard caught fire. The fire also produced a large amount of smoke.
Along with the North Adams Fire Department, the North Adams Police Department and the State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal also assisted in the investigation.
Thank you to the Department of Fire Services for the update. For more information, check out Mass.gov.