Mass Pike’s New Exit Numbering Project Scheduled as Other Work Continues
Anyone that has driven on the Mass Pike in the last 6 months has witnessed project after project. Milling, paving, new guardrails, bridge repair and a host of other ongoing work being done behind temporary barriers.
I drive the Pike daily and the endless orange cones, lane closures, flashing lights, lane shifts have been commonplace since spring. Even this morning miles of freshly milled highway heading west between Westfield and Lee means more cones, lane closures, and line painting is in my future.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a freshly paved road and as much driving that I do, a silky-smooth highway makes for an enjoyable ride. I have wondered out loud when I saw the first signs of mass amounts of roadwork equipment strategically placed up and down the Pike last spring, “didn’t they pave the entire highway last year?”
Well you can add another project to the DOT’s list. The Department of Transportation announced they will begin the Exit renumbering project next month. Mass is under a federal mandate to change from the current consecutive “Exit 1…Exit 2…Exit 3 numbering system to the national system of numbering exits based on the mile marker position of the exit.
So, under the new numbering system that the DOT expects to be completed late next summer, if you are traveling east to Springfield instead of getting off at Exit 4 you will be getting off at Exit 45 (45 miles from the start of the Mass Pike from the NY border. Coming back to the Berkshires from Springfield, to get onto U.S. 20 in Lee you will no longer be getting off the Pike at Exit 2 but Exit 10 (10 miles from the start of the Mass Pike).
A total of 27 exit number changes will have to be made on I-90. However, unlike the number of exit numbers needing to be changed closer to Boston, in the Berkshires only two exits will need new signage on the Mass Pike. Delaware and New Hampshire are the only other states currently not on the mileage-numbered system. Both are also instituting plans to change to the system used nationally.
The entire state project is estimated to cost $2.8 million dollars and will be paid for by a grant from the Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program. Sort of like a co-pay at your doctor, the Feds will pay for 90% of the project and the state will be responsible for the other 10%. Click here for more information on the DOT project.
Below is a scorecard if you want to play the DOT Renumbering Game at home...
Mass Pike/I-90 RENUMBERING
|Old Exit||New Exit||Street/Route|
|1 (WB)||3 (WB)||Jct. RTE 41 & RTE 102|
|2||10||SJct. US 20|
|3||41||Jct. US 202 & RTE 10|
|4||45||Jct. I-91 & US 5|
|5||49||Jct. RTE 33|
|7||54||Jct. RTE 21|
|8||63||Jct. RTE 32|
|10||90||Jct. I-290, I-395, & RTE 12|
|10A||94||Jct. US 20, RTE 146, & RTE 122A|
|11||96||Jct. RTE 122|
|12||111||Jct. RTE 9|
|13||117||Jct. RTE 30|
|14 (EB)||123 (EB)||Jct. I-95, RTE 128, & RTE 30|
|15A/B (WB)||123A/B (WB)||Jct. I-95, RTE 128, & RTE 30|
|16 (WB)||125 (WB)||Jct. RTE 16|
|18 (EB)||131 (EB)||Brighton, Cambridge|
|20 (WB)||131 (WB)||Brighton, Cambridge, U-turn to Boston|
|22 (EB)||133 (EB)||Prudential, Copley Square|
|24A/B/C (EB)||134A/B/C (EB)||Jct. I-93, US 1, & RTE 3|
|24 (WB)||134 (WB)||South Station|
|26 (EB)||137 (EB)||Logan Airport|
UP NEXT: See how much gasoline cost the year you started driving