A fire that killed a city woman and injured a firefighter last week was caused by the improper discarding of smoking materials. 74-year-old Frances Lysonski was rescued from her 73 Chickering Street home on July 6 h.

Lysonski was taken to Berkshire Medical Center, where she died a short time later.

The Berkshire Eagle reports that according to the state Department of Fire Services, the fire began in a plastic trash barrel on the first floor of the home. Authorities found several packs of cigarettes and matches near where the fire originated.

Also, authorities said the residence had no working fire alarm. The home's two alarms were well past their suitable replacement age and had dead batteries. One of them was obstructed by a number of boxes.

Enter your number to get our free mobile app


CHECK IT OUT: Here Are the 77 Most '70s Things About 1977


More From WUPE